Present: Ellery Dykema, Glen Bruhschwein, Derrick Fox, Joe Natwick, Nate Shilman, Tanner Stika and Jon Stika.

Sampled barrel beer and found it satisfactory and agreed it should remain in the barrel for another month.  Jon brought the club share of the Petite Saison kit. Discussed future participation in Alive@5, Douple IPA as next barrel beer, water chemistry and brewing equipment.

Jon Stika
Secretary

Present: Jerry Ford, Casey Ritz, Shannon Bertelsen, Joel Emter, Nate Shilman, Alan Church, Glen Bruhschwein, Ellery Dykema, Ryan Jilek, Trevor Dykema and Jon Stika.

Discussed barrel beer.  Jerry brought a batch of Imperial Stout to be used to top up the barrel to keep it full as it ages and is sampled.  Discussed Alive@5.  No decision was made on whether to participate in Alive@5 next year.  Jon reported on a new craft malt business proposed in Bismarck.  Jon recently picked 47 ounces of hops at the Dickinson Research and Extension Center.  The hops will be distributed to members who wish to brew the next barrel beer; an Imperial IPA.  Jon will develop a base recipe for the Imperial IPA.  Three extract beer kits purchased by the club were distributed for brewing and sharing at future meetings.  Ellery took the Chinook IPA kit, Glen took the Phat Tyre Ale kit and Jon took the Petite Saison kit.  Casey brought a homemade couterflow wort chiller to show the group.  Discussed differences between 2-row and 6-row pale malt.

Jon Stika
Secretary

Present: Jerry Ford, Ryan Jilek, Michael Kreitinger, Joel Emter, Derek Fox and Jon Stika.

Jon reported on the barrel beer project.  The barrel has been hydrated and swelled water tight.  Jon will treat the barrel with Barrel Kleen to ready it for filling with beer.  Discussed Alive@5 participation.  Consensus was that Rocky Stoltz and Glen Bruhschwein need to be involved to determine club liability serving beer and to determine a charity to receive donations for beer served if the club participated in the event.

Jon Stika
Secretary

Present: Jerry Ford, Casey Ritz, Ellery Dykema, Nate Shilman, Rocky Stoltz and Jon Stika.

Discussed possible participation by the club in Alive@5 event in downtown Dickinson during the summer.  Rocky will follow-up on information regarding Alive@5.  Discussed wort aeration, wine-making, hop growing and mead-making.

Jon Stika
Secretary

Present: Jerry Ford, Alan Church, Ryan Jilek, Rocky Stoltz, Glen Bruhschwein, Ellery Dykeman, Nate Shilman and Jon Stika.

Discussed brewing of Imperial Stout for the barrel.  Rocky, Joel, Glen, Tyler and Jon have their pledged shares brewed.  Others are planning to brew their shares soon.  Tentative deadline to brew batches is by the June meeting.  Discussed location, date and potential logistics of a beer event for September.  Rocky brought Cream Ale brewed as a club sponsored beer and distributed it to members present.

Jon Stika
Secretary

Present: Jerry Ford, Rocky Stoltz, Steve Klicker, Nate Shilman, Glen Bruhschwein, Ellery Dykeman, Ryan Jilek and Jon Stika.

Discussed collective brewing to fill the new wine barrel.  Rocky, Joel (Empter), Glen, Tyler (Benson), Nate, Steve, Ellery, Jerry, Ryan and Jon will brew Imperial Stout to fill the barrel.  Jon will brew a batch of his own plus a batch sponsored by the club.  Ryan will brew a double (10 gallon) batch.

Discussed a club-organized beer event for early this fall.  Several members will check on various details needed to implement the event to determine its feasibility and develop a budget.  The preliminary plans for the event will be discussed further at the next meeting.

Discussed decoction mashing and its effect on beer flavor.

Jon Stika
Secretary

Present: Tyler Benson, Nate Shilman, Glen Bruhschwein, Ryan Jilek and Jon Stika.

Discussed brewing beer of the month kits to be shared with members.  Glen and Ryan will each choose a kit and brew it and be reimbursed from the club at at later date.  Jon has brewed the Halcyon kit which is still bottle-conditioning and will be brought to a future meeting when it is carbonated.  Motion by Stika, seconded by Jilek to trade the two barrels belonging to the club for a fresh used wine barrel recently purchased by Benson.  Motion passed.  Discussed upcoming Brews and Blues event scheduled for June 6th.  Discussed malt crushing and yeast starters.

Jon Stika
Secretary

Present: Casey Ritz, Alan Church, Steve Klicker, Ryan Jilek,  Rocky Stoltz, Nate Shilman, Glen Bruhschwein, Tyler Benson and Jon Stika.

Evaluated several beers brewed by members.  Discussed Beer of the Month kits and brewers.  Rocky, Ryan, Glen and Jon will brew club kits.  Rocky will order kits.  Discussed repitching yeast and sparging methods.

Jon Stika
Secretary

Present: Alan Church, Ryan Jilek, Tyler Benson, Michael Kreitinger, Glen Bruhschwein, Nate Shilman, Jan Heimdal, and Jon Stika.

Motion by Ryan to cast a unanimous ballot for Michael Kreitinger for vice president, Rocky Stoltz as treasurer, Alan Church as member at large and Glen Bruhschwein as member at large. Seconded by Michael. Motion passed.

Jon will contact Rocky regarding renewal of club non-profit status. Dues were collected from some members. Jon will brew first beer-of-the-month. Glen will pick up an all grain Halcyon Wheat beer ingredient kit from Northern Brewer in the near future.  Discussed malting barley, hop cultivation, water chemistry and differences in extract efficiency with different brewing systems.

Jon Stika
Secretary

Present: Ryan Jilek, Glen Bruhschwein, Ellery Dykeman, Joel Emter and Jon Stika.

Collected 2015 dues from Jilek, Bruhschwein, Stika and Paul Ellerkamp.  Collected payment for Brew Your Own group subscription from Jilek, Bruhschwein, Stika and Paul Ellerkamp.  Election of Vice President, Treasurer and two Members At Large was tabled until the January 2015 meeting.  Discussed cleaning of club barrels when the weather warms in the spring.  Discussed harvesting and reusing yeast.

Motion by Stika, seconded by Jilek that the Heart River Home Brewers club purchase up to one beer recipe kit per month, including shipping and bottle caps as necessary, for a club member to brew.  The brewer of the beer may then keep half of the resulting batch of beer and bring the remainder to a club meeting to be sampled and distributed to the members in attendance.  Motion passed.

Discussion prior to passage of the motion included that perhaps the club could collectively suggest various recipe kits so a variety of beers would be brewed and that the club could order the kits or a member could order a kit with prior approval and received reimbursement for the kit if brewed for purposes of the motion.  Empty bottles could be collected at meetings to supply a brewer with bottles as needed.

Jon Stika
Secretary

« Previous PageNext Page »