The next meeting of the Heart River Homebrewers (AHA Club Number: 000163851) is scheduled for Thursday, December 15th, 2016 at Custom Data World Headquarters, 677 10th Street East, Dickinson, North Dakota at 7:30 PM.

Present: Casey Ritz, Steve Klicker, Ryan Jilek, Joel Emter, Derek Fox, Terris Dietz, Jerry Ford, Craig Whippo, Nate Shilman, Greg Walter, Ellery Dykeman, Rocky Stoltz and Jon Stika.

Discussed brewing equipment sanitation.  Jon moved, seconded by Steve to hold the December meeting on December 15, 2016.  Motion passed.  Some members picked up Two-Track malt and paid for same.  Several members brought Double IPA that was aged in the club barrel and dry-hopped with a variety of hops.  Ryan invited members who would like to brew or observe brewing to his place on Saturday, November 19, 2016.  Ryan, Rocky and Jon plan to participate in that brewing session.

Jon Stika
Secretary

Present: Ryan Jilek, Joel Emter, Michael Kreitinger, Terris Dietz, Jerry Ford, Derek Fox, Rocky Stoltz, Ellery Dykeman, Greg Walter and Jon Stika.

Motion by Stika, seconded by Walter that HRHB should purchase malt from Two-Track Malting to re-sell at the purchase price to members and offer reimbursement for mileage to the person who delivers the malt to Dickinson.  Motion passed.  Stika reported that the Double IPA was removed from the club barrel on 9/19/16 and replaced with Wee Heavy.  Stika brought the club share of Liberty Cream Ale kit he brewed which was distributed to members present.  Motion by Stoltz, seconded by Emter to set November club meeting as November 17th so as not to conflict with Thanksgiving Day.  Stika reminded the group that the Brew Your Own magazine group discount subscription would be due in December and that he had an article in the works for the magazine.  Jilek plans to host a fall brew day at his home on November 19th, 2016.  Contact Ryan Jilek if you plan to participate.

Jon Stika
Secretary

Present: Jerry Ford, Ryan Jilek, Rocky Stoltz, Steve Klicker, Ellery Dykeman, Shane Schmidt, Greg Walter, Joel Emter, Joe Natwick and Jon Stika.

Ryan reported that the estimated cost of a club banner approximately 3’x6′ would be $65 – $100.  Discussed what should be included on the banner, size, specifications, and if it should be purchased locally or online.  Motion by Stoltz, seconded by Natwick to purchase banner locally, motion passed.  Ryan will produce a draft image of the banner for review and comment by members.

Discussed a group purchase of malt from Two-Track Malting in Lincoln, ND.  Two-Track has Pale Two-Row, Pils, and Munich malt available.  A purchase of less than 50lbs is $1.50/lb, less than 10 – 50lb bags are $1.00/lb, and 10 or more 50 lb bags (500lbs) are $0.75/lb.  Jon will send out an inquiry to all members to see about putting together a 500 lb. order.

Jon Stika
Secretary

dsc_0043dsc_0048

Ryan, Rocky, Greg, and Jon pumped Double IPA out of the club barrel and replaced it with Wee Heavy on September 19, 2016.

Present: Jerry Ford, Derek Fox, Ryan Jilek, Rocky Stoltz, Casey Ritz, Ellery Dykeman, Greg Walter, Shane Schmidt, Nate Shilman, Joel Emter and Jon Stika.

Discussed barrel beer.  Jon will brew the last batch needed to fill the barrel ASAP so the Double IPA can be transferred out of the barrel and it can immediately be refilled with Scottish Wee Heavy.  Ryan will check on designs and prices of a club banner that would be suitable to hang from a banquet table.  Discussed a club picnic, but no dates or locations were decided upon.

Jon Stika
Secretary

FullSizeRender

Jon Stika and Rocky Stoltz represented the Heart River Homebrewers at the 2016 “A Knight’s Brew” to raise money for charity, sponsored by the Dickinson Knight’s of Columbus.  The Heart River Homebrewers took third place People’s Choice for the clubs’ barrel-aged Imperial Stout.

 

Present: Jerry Ford, Ryan Jilek, Derek Fox, Matt, Glen Bruhschwein, Joe Johnson, Greg Walter, Jacob Walter, Rocky Stoltz, Joel Emter, Paul Ellerkamp and Jon Stika.

Joel and Paul provided information on “A Knights Brew” event scheduled for August 11th at the Dickinson Charities Bingo hall.  Jon will send out additional information to members regarding this event.  Discussed barrel beers.  Rocky, Jon and Ryan will brew additional batches of Wee Heavy to fill the barrel when the Double IPA is removed from the barrel.  Motion by Jilek, seconded by Fox to reimburse Stoltz $92.46 for purchase of three beer kits for club members to brew.  The three kits were taken by Walter, Jilek and Stika to be brewed and shared with the club at a later date.

Jon Stika
Secretary

Present: Michael Kreitinger, Glen Bruhschwein, Derek Fox, Nate Shilman, Joel Emter, Greg Walters, Casey Ritz, Joe Natwick and Jon Stika.

Jon moved that the club participate in charitable fund-raising events with Maverick’s Saloon and the club offer reimbursement to members for ingredients of beers they contribute to said events.  Seconded by Greg. Motion passed.  Jon reported that Rocky Stoltz purchased three beer ingredient kits to be brewed by members for upcoming events.  Rocky also purchased 14 gram carbon dioxide cartridges for the club-owned beer dispensing equipment.  Discussed yeast harvest and washing, beer judging, yeast nutrients and hop bursting techniques.

Jon Stika
Secretary

Present: Derek Fox, Jerry Ford, Joel Emter, Ellery Dykeman, Joe Natwick, Greg Walters, Glen Bruhschwein, Bryan Nelson, Jordan Sifuentes and Jon Stika.

Listened to and discussed proposal presented by Bryan Nelson of Maverick’s Saloon of Dickinson for Heart River Homebrewers club to participate in beer events at Maverick’s this summer.  Maverick’s would provide the venue for the events outdoors near Maverick’s Saloon and have the club serve beer that members brewed.  Funds raised by the events would be used to cover costs to Maverick’s and provide donations to the club, which the club would then use to cover costs of beer ingredients with the balance donated to a local charity.  If Maverick’s proposal for the club to participate is accepted by the club, the first event could be in July (10th?) with subsequent events on August 7th, September 4th, and October 2nd.  It was suggested that the club provide 4 or 5 different beers at each event and that the club purchase all ingredients/supplies used to make the beers and brewers would donate their time making the beers.  Members in attendance were in consensus to accept the proposal, but a motion was not made to do so at this meeting.

Discussed barrel beer project.  Jon, Glen, and Joe have each brewed 5 gallons of Wee Heavy for the barrel to date.  Nate, Joel, Greg, Ellery, Ryan and Derek have committed to brewing their contributions soon.  Therefore, 45 gallons have been committed to date, with at least another 15 gallons needed to fill the barrel.  It was agreed that Wee Heavy to fill the barrel would be brewed by the next club meeting in June so the Double IPA could be removed from the barrel and immediately replaced with Wee Heavy.

Discussed the need for a club banner to be used at public events.  It was agreed that Ryan Jilek should look into this to determine types of banners and costs.

Jon Stika
Secretary

Next Page »