Present: Rocky Stoltz, Ellery Dykema, Alan Church, Nate Shilman, Derrick Fox, Glen Bruhschwein, Joel Emter and Jon Stika.

Discussed current barrel beer (Imperial Stout).  Jon and Rocky will pump the beer out of the barrel and into each brewers vessel on Saturday, November 28th.  The barrel will be cleaned and moved to Rocky’s where the next beer (Double IPA) will be aged.  Rocky, Ellery, Glen, Nate, Derrick, Joel and Jon have committed to brewing DIPA to go in the barrel.  Jon distributed hops for brewing DIPA to Ellery, Glen, Derrick and Nate.  Jon reported on Hoppy Halloween judging.  Jon had an article on spicing beers published in the December 2015 issue of Brew Your Own.  Discussed hop bursting (adding hops after wort cools <180F) and wort aeration.  Discussed Bacon and Beer events being held in various locations in ND.  No one had specific information on the event in Dickinson.

Jon Stika
Secretary

Present: Rocky Stoltz, Jerry Ford, Derrick Fox, Ellery Dykema, Glen Bruhschwein and Jon Stika.

Sampled beer from the club barrel.  The consensus was that the beer should be withdrawn from the barrel by the end of 2015 and replaced with a double IPA.  Ellery brought the club-sponsored Chinook IPA beer to sample and distribute.  Motion by Ford, seconded by Stoltz to set the club meeting date in November to the 19th and the date in December to the 17th.  Motion passed.  Discussed various manual and automated brewing systems.  Stoltz, Ford and Stika Judged a Black IPA brought by Fox to provide him feedback to continue to develop the recipe.

Jon Stika
Secretary

Present: Ellery Dykema, Glen Bruhschwein, Derrick Fox, Joe Natwick, Nate Shilman, Tanner Stika and Jon Stika.

Sampled barrel beer and found it satisfactory and agreed it should remain in the barrel for another month.  Jon brought the club share of the Petite Saison kit. Discussed future participation in Alive@5, Douple IPA as next barrel beer, water chemistry and brewing equipment.

Jon Stika
Secretary

Present: Jerry Ford, Casey Ritz, Shannon Bertelsen, Joel Emter, Nate Shilman, Alan Church, Glen Bruhschwein, Ellery Dykema, Ryan Jilek, Trevor Dykema and Jon Stika.

Discussed barrel beer.  Jerry brought a batch of Imperial Stout to be used to top up the barrel to keep it full as it ages and is sampled.  Discussed Alive@5.  No decision was made on whether to participate in Alive@5 next year.  Jon reported on a new craft malt business proposed in Bismarck.  Jon recently picked 47 ounces of hops at the Dickinson Research and Extension Center.  The hops will be distributed to members who wish to brew the next barrel beer; an Imperial IPA.  Jon will develop a base recipe for the Imperial IPA.  Three extract beer kits purchased by the club were distributed for brewing and sharing at future meetings.  Ellery took the Chinook IPA kit, Glen took the Phat Tyre Ale kit and Jon took the Petite Saison kit.  Casey brought a homemade couterflow wort chiller to show the group.  Discussed differences between 2-row and 6-row pale malt.

Jon Stika
Secretary

Present: Jerry Ford, Ryan Jilek, Michael Kreitinger, Joel Emter, Derek Fox and Jon Stika.

Jon reported on the barrel beer project.  The barrel has been hydrated and swelled water tight.  Jon will treat the barrel with Barrel Kleen to ready it for filling with beer.  Discussed Alive@5 participation.  Consensus was that Rocky Stoltz and Glen Bruhschwein need to be involved to determine club liability serving beer and to determine a charity to receive donations for beer served if the club participated in the event.

Jon Stika
Secretary

Present: Jerry Ford, Casey Ritz, Ellery Dykema, Nate Shilman, Rocky Stoltz and Jon Stika.

Discussed possible participation by the club in Alive@5 event in downtown Dickinson during the summer.  Rocky will follow-up on information regarding Alive@5.  Discussed wort aeration, wine-making, hop growing and mead-making.

Jon Stika
Secretary

Present: Jerry Ford, Alan Church, Ryan Jilek, Rocky Stoltz, Glen Bruhschwein, Ellery Dykeman, Nate Shilman and Jon Stika.

Discussed brewing of Imperial Stout for the barrel.  Rocky, Joel, Glen, Tyler and Jon have their pledged shares brewed.  Others are planning to brew their shares soon.  Tentative deadline to brew batches is by the June meeting.  Discussed location, date and potential logistics of a beer event for September.  Rocky brought Cream Ale brewed as a club sponsored beer and distributed it to members present.

Jon Stika
Secretary

Present: Jerry Ford, Rocky Stoltz, Steve Klicker, Nate Shilman, Glen Bruhschwein, Ellery Dykeman, Ryan Jilek and Jon Stika.

Discussed collective brewing to fill the new wine barrel.  Rocky, Joel (Empter), Glen, Tyler (Benson), Nate, Steve, Ellery, Jerry, Ryan and Jon will brew Imperial Stout to fill the barrel.  Jon will brew a batch of his own plus a batch sponsored by the club.  Ryan will brew a double (10 gallon) batch.

Discussed a club-organized beer event for early this fall.  Several members will check on various details needed to implement the event to determine its feasibility and develop a budget.  The preliminary plans for the event will be discussed further at the next meeting.

Discussed decoction mashing and its effect on beer flavor.

Jon Stika
Secretary

Present: Tyler Benson, Nate Shilman, Glen Bruhschwein, Ryan Jilek and Jon Stika.

Discussed brewing beer of the month kits to be shared with members.  Glen and Ryan will each choose a kit and brew it and be reimbursed from the club at at later date.  Jon has brewed the Halcyon kit which is still bottle-conditioning and will be brought to a future meeting when it is carbonated.  Motion by Stika, seconded by Jilek to trade the two barrels belonging to the club for a fresh used wine barrel recently purchased by Benson.  Motion passed.  Discussed upcoming Brews and Blues event scheduled for June 6th.  Discussed malt crushing and yeast starters.

Jon Stika
Secretary

Present: Casey Ritz, Alan Church, Steve Klicker, Ryan Jilek,  Rocky Stoltz, Nate Shilman, Glen Bruhschwein, Tyler Benson and Jon Stika.

Evaluated several beers brewed by members.  Discussed Beer of the Month kits and brewers.  Rocky, Ryan, Glen and Jon will brew club kits.  Rocky will order kits.  Discussed repitching yeast and sparging methods.

Jon Stika
Secretary

« Previous PageNext Page »